Should Your Sexuality Be Circuited Through the Ways That Animals Sleep?

I watch the documentary God’s Country; everybody from Minnesota in 1985 is hot, especially the former high school wrestler who is both a banker and a farmer.

Taking care of the pigs is part of it; taking care of the cows is most of it, he says.

The interviewer asks if he will get a degree in farming.

He answers, you get a degree in pigs every day.

It’s not a bad occupation.

The pigs are shown rooting around.

We see the pigs transported and then strung up and dead; we see conveyor belts and now they are chopped down and made into meat.

A young farmer talks about being his own boss.

It makes you feel good when the crops look good, he says.

Lauren poses a question: what do you dream about when you have sexy dreams?

But I don’t have sexy dreams; or my dreams are exactly as sexy as the real situation. I sleep luxuriously alone, or I sleep with a lover and tell myself it’s nice to sleep on top of one another, like animals do. And it is: I sleep dreaming of my lover’s presence, meaning that I’m dreaming real life.

Marie Buck has lived in South Carolina and Detroit and now lives in Brooklyn. Recent books are Portrait of Doom (Krupskaya, 2015) and Goodnight, Marie, May God Have Mercy on Your Soul (Roof, 2017) You can find her on Twitter at @mutantballyhoo.