no aesthetic outside my freedom

As promised: "the title of the second poem comes from a line by Mahmoud Darwish as translated by Fady Joudah. if accepted, however you'd like to acknowledge this would be rad!"
i know that you are beautiful
             if you love me with a bite.
if you hold my hand and make
             a picket line. ""what’s exciting
isn’t always beautiful,"" the john waters
             movie warns me. and yet,
the imagination needs just a little nudge
             to believe garbage beautiful, or
to believe in something more important
             than the body. i know there is
a world beyond this one, so i’m not
             scared to die making this one
freer. making myself believe
             that beautiful means teeth,
and a little bit of pain.
             no,
i choose to see nothing more beautiful
             than the new world that catches
the light, shimmering in the blood
             leaping from a billionaire’s
throat. every drowned master a prelude
             to a drowned structure.
i’m making myself eros. i’m steeling
             myself for the power shift.
i’m stealing my time back from every
             one. i’m sharpening my words.
             yalla,
i’m sharpening what blades i can afford
             on a teacher’s salary.
bite hard. wherever we go,
             i hope i meet you there.

Fargo Tbakhi is a queer palestinian american writer and performer in phoenix, arizona. his work is published or forthcoming in Protean Mag, the Shallow Ends, Mizna, Peach Mag, and others. if you would like to fund his work, please find him online @YouKnowFargo.

bird ig